Monday, March 21, 2011

smashed teeth

I had a dream the other night that my teeth were smashed, I'm not sure exactly how this happened but this man standing next to me was involved somehow. The top row of my teeth were jagged and randomly broken. One of the teeth fell out and I searched along the ground to find it and put it in my pocket. A random thought to put it in milk crosses my mind, but at this point, it's probably pointless.

No pain, just embarrassment when I want to smile or talk. People asking and wondering why someone like me has smashed up teeth. Someone gives me a referral number to a dentist that would be open at this time of night. I hope they accept my insurance (or at least give me care and I'll deal with the cost later) or can offer me some affordable help ( I hope) I make the man who had contributed in the smashing of my teeth come with me.

He is totally unaware that he had any part in this situation. When we arrive at the clinic, I hope that he'll help or stay with me but he decides he needs a teeth cleaning and makes a walk in appointment. He waits to be called back for his cleaning. The clinic is strange and it's evening and I wonder how many people just walk into a dentist with such damage at this time of day.

I speak with the secretary about when my teeth can be repaired. I smile at something the man says, but remember the horrible appearance of my teeth and I quickly muffle my smile. I can feel the glances from the others in the waiting room. I stay strong and know I can handle this, they are just teeth and can hopefully be repaired.

The secretary informs me it will take multiple visits and I nod and watch as the man stands up and walks back to get his teeth cleaned.

No comments: